Like I said, I was a junior in high school- and was about to start competing to be on the USA World Power Tumbling team. I didn't talk to people about tumbling much, not really sure why, but it was something that I was really pretty good at. I however, felt that it was wrong to be confident in these abilities (I've now learned its not wrong to be confident in abilities when the Lord blessed you with them- the wrong is taking credit for them yourself). I continually went into competitions doubting my abilities (duh, you can't trust yourself- I've let myself down a lot of times). By doubting myself, I essentially was doubting the Lord and that got me no where real fast. As I approached the first of three meets to try out for the world team, I decided I was going to do things differently. I was going to hand this over to the Lord, I was going to trust Him, and I was going to stand on His promises. For the first time (ever) I told people what I was doing, and that I would appreciate them praying for me. When it was time, I hopped on an airplane and went to Las Vegas to compete.
I practiced well, I felt confident, yet I would continually have thoughts of oh what if this happens, or what if I do like I have at most competitions (and mess up). I would fight these thoughts with scripture thinking on things that were true, noble, honerable, etc. But that didn't seem to be enough... then the Holy Spirit gently reminded me of my friends and family back home, that were praying for me. I wasn't in the battle alone!
In Ephesians 6:10-18 we are told to put on the armor of God.
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints, and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
On this trip in Vegas I had put on my armor :-) I was ready to fight...
Well I thought I was ready to fight, yet even when I was fighting things kept sneaking up on me. They'd come when I least expected it. As if they were coming from behind me, where I couldn't see where they were coming from. BUT then I remembered people were praying for me, they were fighting for me too! The Lord showed me a real cool visual in the process of this viola! moment, and it looks something like this...
Sorry this was the only picture that would come close to showing my next thought. I wish I could have found two people back to back in the armor then the point would have been very clear. Have you ever used or heard the phrase, "I've got your back!"? I was told, that this phrase came about years ago while guys were fighting in a war. They would pair up and go out into the fields, they would sit back to back so that they could help protect one another. Together, nothing could come towards them without one of them knowing. Are you ready for the ah ha? Here's the thought, we are all called to put on the armor (Genesis 4:7 says, "If you do well will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.") We have to be prepared to go to battle... but what if we put into effect the idea of accountability and went back to back with someone to fight the battle? What if I told a friend my weak areas, and she mine and they could help me be on the look out on the battle field of life?
Proverbs 11:14 says, "Where there is no guidance, the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory.
Proverbs 27:17 says, "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."
Hebrews 3:13, "but encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "today" lest anyone of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin"
James 5:16, "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righeous man can accomplish much."
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him!"
Whose got your back? Who is ready to help you fight the battle? Whose ready to help you keep your eyes completely on the Lord? This day was monumental for me in realizing the purpose of accountability in my life, I put on my armor, I was ready to fight,and still needed more. THEN, I remember my friends that had my back, they knew I doubted and they were going to battle for me so that the Lord would be glorified. And guess what, He was! It was not only one of my best meets, ever, but it was a wonderful growing experience in my walk with the Lord. Did you put your armor on today? Are you ready to fight? Cause I got your back.. Praying for you! Be blessed!


"street" fits you well. Or should I say, 'fit yo well'.
ReplyDeleteLove you, sister!
Bridge