Friday, October 2, 2009

We were made for relationships, but we can't forget for which these relationships were made...



Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.




Raise your hand if you've head this verse before. It's a great verse, guard your heart for its the wellspring of life. We all know the importance of the heart in a physical sense, without it blood doesn't pump, we don't live. But what on Earth does it mean to guard your heart in a spiritual sense?

In many youth groups across this nation we are daily telling our youth to guard their hearts as they begin dating. (& lets be honest...I'm keeping away from sharing my thoughts on high school dating at this point). Actually, I had a friend tell me this on Friday as I talked about how I was gonna hang out with a guy. I thought to myself...I've heard that ALOT in my 26 years growing up in Church but what in the heck does that mean? I've read a ton of Christian dating books, good ones.. but still walked away not having a clear answer of what that means. So the Lord has given you a clear answer now and you're sharing?!? Not quite...



As I was driving down the road today praisin' Jesus with Shawn McDonald I started thinking about this guard your heart concept. What started out as a dating relationship based thought, I ventured out into relationships of all types. We as people were made for relationships (once again not just speaking of the dating and marrying type). Relationships help us to understand our relationship with the Lord as well as our relationship in the midst of the Church. I had the awesome opportunity last Spring to write a paper that looked at our different relationships and how they all play a part in teaching us a little more about who the Lord is in our life. Pretty stinking cool.



We were made for relationships, but we can't forget for which these relationships were made- To better understand our Lord. I think a lot of times we are so selfish in our relationships that we forget our role in our relationships. We begin to think about ourselves, our needs, what we want out of the friendship- without even considering the other person. Maybe its as simple as promising to take a friend to the store yet at the last minute changing plans to go hang out with others, maybe its joining a team yet not understanding that without you the team doesn't function the way it needs to- yet you decide you don't want to participate anymore. You have a powerful impact on people through relationships, and situations.



As do people have a huge impact on you through you're relationships with them. I myself seem to be the type who gets myself into situations easily where I can become easily disappointed by people. Does my disappointment lay in the face of expecting too much from people ( I mean we are human) or does my disappointment come from me wanting to be affirmed and accepted from the people I am around (selfish motives). See I've found as I am more embedded in the Lord and His word I don't get as disappointed in people. My strength, my worth, etc comes from the Lord- and when I filled with Him, I can more freely love people, beacause He is a neve-ending source of love. Let me give you a few facts about who the Lord is...



HE KNEW YOU BEFORE YOU WERE BORN...

Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."



HE WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU OR FORSAKE YOU...

Hebrews 13:5 "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."



HE IS THE SAME YESTERDAY...

Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."



HE KNOWS THE PLANS HE HAS FOR YOU...

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."



I could go on and on listing who the Father is and what love He has for us- and yet even with these verses at our fingertips we choose to look for affirmation somewhere else. What are you going to do to keep your eyes on the Lord today? How will you prepare yourself for the times when you feel as if you have been hurt by someone? As you tap into the Lord today be prepared to love someone in the midst of an "easy to not love" situation. Sometimes its those situations, when we allow the Lord to love through us, that people see and understand the love of the Lord in a more clear manner. We were made for relationships, but we can't forget what the relationships were meant for... to know Jesus more! Be blessed.



(side note: Sometimes we do run into situations were people use us, or maybe we use others. Either way the relationship is all take and no give. THIS IS NOT HEALTHY, and this is not a picture of the relationships the Lord had invisioned for us to have. It's tough times like this that you must a)step back and share what these people are doing to you, or maybe what you need in the relationship for it to be balanced or b) you need to step away. Stepping away is hard, but worth it. See as you step away, & you step towards Jesus He will begin to restore you once again. So much so that eventually He might bring that person back into your life to love on them so that they can come to know Jesus in a better way as well. If you are approached by someone who feels as if you are taking more than you are giving, take a deep breath and listen- this can be a good chance for you to grow. Then pray, ask the Lord for direction in the friendship and relationship so that is will be what relationships are for - to grow in Him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment