and happy people don't just shoot their husbands! (Can anyone name this movie??)
I will be the first to admit that my life is TONS better when I am taking the time to run every day. With lives crazy seasons, sometimes I do a good job of making this a priority and other times I do not. You can actually tell this by looking at this blog- when I am running more frequently blogs updates come more frequently, when I'm not running there is a dry spell. It really is crazy how the two go hand in hand.
As I jumped on the treadmill today, and I began thinking/ praying/ talking to Jesus He reminded me of two conversations I had yesterday with two friends. Both these conversations were about running. The first started when someone asked me why I had started running, or how I began to feel so strongly about it. I rambled quite a bit to answer this question, but I think she got the jist because her response was, "Man, I wish my runs would feel like that." The second conversation was sparked when one of my friends had decided to go for a run last night. I asked him what had sparked the desire to go for a run his respons was as such, "Your blog. It made running sound like a great idea. It reminded me of how I used to love to run in Stillwater. How it made me release all my stress and relax. I figured if you do it and it makes you think as clearly as you do then... where's my shoes?" As I thought about these conversations (while running today) I thought about how I often tell about what I learn while I'm running but I've never really explained why running needs to be a constant thing in my life, and ironically enough- it really has NOTHING to do with running... (am I saying we aren't called to take care of the temple of the Lord -our bodies- no! I'm just not saying that's not the sole purpose for which I run).
Simply put, I run to spend time with Jesus. It's the place I can find a good chunk of time where I can lay EVERYTHING out at His feet, UNINTERRUPETED, just me and Him. This is what makes life better when I "run" consistently. So technically what I do on the treadmill, YOU, my friend can do anywhere- it just so happens that I have found when I place myself in a position of exhausting myself it's a must easier place for me to literally let go of everything, approaching Jesus with all I've got, humbly asking for His help and His guidance. Because you know, as well as I do- we can do this life alone. It's His grace, His mercy, and His strength that gets us up and keeps us going.
Running is the place where I find the balance of being a Mary and a Martha. We need to be both! We need to be active in being a part of what the Lord is doing, but we must realize to do that we must take time to "sit and be still" in front of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. It is His guiding hand, and His Word that directs our feet- without the time with Him how will we ever know what we need to be actively doing?
So I ask you, what does your time with Jesus look like daily? You might not be hopping on a treadmill like me, but do you have a place where you are still before the Lord? (Ps. 46:10). Maybe it's in your car on the way to work, or while sitting at your desk over lunch, or while you lay in bed at night. It could be anywhere! A place where you can COME TO HIM (Matthew 11:28), CAST YOUR CARES (1 Peter 5:7), CALL OUT TO HIM (2 Chronicles 7:16). This place will allow you to HEAR from Jesus (John15:26) and be TRANSFORMED (2 Corinthians 3:18).
I believe the Lord knew exactly what He was doing when He created mankind- A people in need of a Savior, a people who He knew would be living in a fallen world. He sent HIS Son, the ONLY PERFECT being on Earth to live & experience life on Earth before dying on a cross for you- He was and is the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE. He knew that in this world we'd experience trouble, (though He knew He'd overcome the world) so He provided His Word to help guide us, lead us, and direct us. A Word that is living and active, without flaw or imperfection, written by man, yet through the DIVINE presence of the Lord. Lastly, He knew that though we were growing in our relationship with Him, and learning His Word that sometimes we would still struggle in life, and therefore He created us with a longing for relationships- to do life together with people. People who would better help us understand who Jesus is and what He is doing when we get distracted and place our focus somewhere else. People who will remind us of what the Word says when we can't recall anything that would fit in our situations, and lastly (but not least) people who help us to live out the calling of Jesus so that we can LIVE in a way that impacts the KINGDOM for Christ. I LOVE how the Lord provides so many layers of defense for us in the midst of HIM calling US to be a part of what HE is doing on Earth.
Simply put. My time on the treadmill is great because it's where I get to meet Jesus, where I get to spend time with Him. Where He speaks to me, strengthens me, and prepares me for the day at hand. The treadmill is where I express my greatest thoughts, fears, and needs- the place where He reminds me of His Word and who He is in the midst of everything I've just expressed. Jesus is my Counselor.
Now, I will add. In addition to all that great stuff listed above- I think there has been some scientific evidence that exercising does boost your mood. That is why in Legally Blonde Elle said, "Excersice give you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't just shoot their husbands." Happiness though is built a lot on our circumstances which we don't always have that much control over. Spending time with Jesus though provides us a lasting JOY that transcends ANY circumstance- which is better than any amount of endorphins excercising might provide. Be blessed!
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Legally Blonde.
ReplyDeletedanggit... i posted the answer before finishing reading your post. now, i don't look like i've impressed anyone. great post!
ReplyDeleteRachel, this cracked me up! :)
ReplyDelete